Tuesday, August 21, 2012

ROME ON MY OWN

The ship docked at Civitavecchia.  There were many tours of Rome available.  Having been to Rome twice before and seen most of the major monuments I opted for the "Rome on your own tour".  The bus dropped me off at St. Peter's  Square and I had 6 hours in the Eternal City to do what I please.  I spent about two hours in St. Peter's Basilica, then crossed the bridge, walked down the Corso Vittorio Emanuele, past the apartment I stayed in for a week in Dec. 2010 and cut over to the Piazza Navona.  After spending some time there, I continued through the city to the Pantheon.  It has been in continuous use for 2,000 years.  It's a unique building.  It has a hole in the roof and when it rains the center section has water on the floor.  It has been a Catholic church since the 7th century.for more information go to :  After visiting the Pantheon, I went to lunch at Trattoria Antonio's.  When L,K,S and I were in Rome in Dec. 2010 we had dinner at Antonio's.  We were the only English. speaking people in the restaurant.  The food was absolutely delicious.  So I decided to have lunch there.  It is located on a side street off of the Pantheon.  It was 12:30 and I was the only person in the restaurant.  It was also a very hot day and the owner brought me a glass of wine as soon as I sat down.  The waitress remembered me from the last time I was there (or so she said).  Lunch was delicious.  After lunch I continued to the Trevi Fountain and threw coins in the fountain which will insure that I return to Rome.  After spending some time at the fountain, I checked my watch and returned to St. Peter's Square to catch the bus back to the ship.  An absolutely wonderful day in the Eternal City

Piazza Navona in May

 Piazza Navona
 Side altar in the Pantheon
Interior of the Pantheon looking at the main altar.
 The Pantheon
Interior of the restaurant.  
Trattoria Antonio!! The man in the blue shirt and white pants gave me the glass of wine.  I think he's the owner.  I also had a second glass of wine and was not charged for either one.  A wonderful restaurant with excellent food.  I think it cost me about 12 euros.
Trevi Fountain

Notice the crowd.  I've been in Rome in March, May, and December.  This day was very hot and crowded.  Every attraction was very crowded.  In my opinion the best month was December.  The temperature was in the mid 50's, it rained a little but there were no crowds.

No comments: