Sunday, December 2, 2012

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE CITY

In Venice I opted for the tour which included the Doge's Palace, a gondola ride  and a tour of the Murano glass factory.  It was a very interesting day.  Venice is a fascinating city and one where I would like more time to explore on my own.


 The Bridge of Sighs.  For the story behind the name go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_of_Sighs
During the Doge's Palace I got to walk across this bridge.  It was an experience to imagine this happening 400 years ago.
 Court yard entry into the Doge's Palace

 Closer view.
 View of St. Marks Square in front of St. Marks Cathedral.  Going inside St. Marks wasn't part of the tour.  I'm sure it was because of time constraints.  The line to get in the cathedral was massive.
 A view of the fresco above the entrance to St.Marks.
 St. Marks Square.  I was very surprised. There were very few pigeons
 St. Marks Zodiac clock.  For more info go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mark's_Clock
The Campanile and St Marks Square.  The Campanile is the bell tower.

No comments: