Wednesday, April 13, 2011

THE LEFT BANK AND THE MARAIS DISTRICTS

Monday morning was very leisurly. I wrote and mailed some postcards. Went to the Post Office and spoke entirely in French to the woman behind the counter. I got the stamps and instructions as where to mail them and we both smiled and said bonne journee which means have a good day. Then I headed off to the Delacroix museum. I took the metro to St. Germaine des Pres and decided to have lunch. I found a table at Cafe Deux Magots and quickly sat down as theu were extremely busy. I had a croque monsieur and a piece of chocolat cake. The croque monsieur was good but the chocolat cake was "to die for". After lunch I visited the Delacroix museum. Spent about 1 1/2 hours there then back on the metro and over to the Marais district to see the Place de Vosges. Walked through it and then hit a cafe for a cafe creme and to people watch. I walked back to the apartment to meet Ladee and Tina for a farewell to Paris dinned at le Tir Bouchon. My meal was escargot, salmon with mozzarlla cheese and creme brulee for dessert. See http://www.ladeetravels.blogspot.com/ for pictures. Cafe Deux Magots. According to Rick Steves, Hemmingway and Jean Paul Sartre used to hang out here. Delacroix's studio. He had it built to fit his needs as an artist. Entrance to the museum.
Louis square at Place de Vosges



The Carnavalet Museum was closed. It will have to wait until next time.

No comments: